Thursday, November 02, 2006

Whaddya do with the small open ended envies?

You may have noticed in our catalog this year that SU! has what are called open-ended envelopes. These envelopes, rather than opening at the top, open at one end (the short end of the rectangle.)

So, like the SU! cult member I am, I bought some of these things in July under psychic compulsion from my cult-mistress, Shelli Gardner (may she live forever), and they have sat in my drawer doing nothing ever since. I had some time to kill on Halloween after the kids were in bed, so I pulled them out, thinking I'd make a card or two that would fit in the envelopes.

The envelopes are 3 3/8" x 6 3/4". So the card would need to be 3 1/4" x 6 1/2" (6 1/2" x 6 1/2" before folding.) So I cut a piece of cardstock that size and got going. I chose another In Color combination off my chart (Real Red, Cool Caribbean, Not Quite Navy, Certainly Celery) and decided to do a donut card. I decided to pull myself away from the awful fascination of Flannel Plaid (undoubtedly another psychic compulsion from Shelli Gardner (may she live forever)) and with mighty effort, I pulled another background, Dotted, out of the stack and got going.

When I'd almost finished it, though, I realized, with one of those blinding flashes of intuition (they don't come too often with me, so I cherish them when they do) that this card was just a little bigger than a currency note! In fact, I pulled out a $20 bill and it was just a little narrower than the note...hmmm.....

Immediately, I abandoned my card base for one that had a flap that would fold in to hold the bill. I realized that I had to keep the adhesive to a very thin strip on the edge of the folded up flat or there wouldn't be enough room to put the bill in. I cut the flap on an angle so I only had to adhere one edge. And here is what I ended up with:




Now, I was mighty pleased with myself for actually doing something that used something that I hadn't done anything with since I bought it and was in love with the color combo and the Dotted background, as well as my own cleverness. Plus I thought it was STINKIN' CUTE and thought I should submit it to SU! (which I am going to!) And I looked at the interior and another blinding flash of sheer genius (yes, I love myself..heh heh) overcame me. How cool it would be if you could see the bill inside from the outside. And once you punched a hole through the front of the card, surely there would be a way of making the image on the bill, showing through, part of the design.

Now, one thing you may note about our currency is that those guys (Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson et al) don't look very cheerful at all. They look like they are stern fathers of our country (or yelling at you for spending them so freely, I don't know which.) None of which is very humorous or cheerful when presenting their faces as a gift. So I decided to lay on the whimsy and another brilliant flash of genius overcame me (yes, I love myself) and I got to work. I was up until 12:30 AM working on this...I tore it apart more than once trying to get it just right. And here it is:




Cold Play is the set I used to make this along with Riveting and the Dotted background. Isn't it cute? Even cuter than the other one. STINKIN' CUTE, in fact (yes, I love myself.)

I hasten to add that the Hamilton, on the $10 bill, does not work well with the same layout that works for Jackson ($20) and Lincoln ($5)...he is over too much to the left. And Washington is still dead center like he has been for years, so you would have to make major adjustments for him. Though if you have a habit of giving away $1 bills for presents, you have other adjustments to make, IMHO! And his head isn't as big, so it would look not quite in proportion. As far as bigger bills, though I don't normally have them around, my husband was gracious enough to lend them to me long enough to see that Grant ($50) and Franklin ($100) work just fine in this holder too (Franklin looks especially hilarious)...and if you are in the habit of giving those away for Christmas, I'd like to get to know you better!

So now they are in an envelope on the way to SU! and I have made myself another one of each to keep.

To make either one, cut your card base 6 1/2" x 9 1/2". Score at 3 1/4" and 6 1/2". The remaining 3" is for the flap.

To determine where to put my hole for the Cold Play card, I took the 1 3/8" circle punch, punched a piece of sticky note out and put it over the part of the bill I wanted to show through the hole. Then I put the bill on the cardfront in about the place I thought it would rest inside the card and took my paper piercing tool and poked a hole through the center of sticky note, through the bill and through the cardstock. I then removed the bill, put the sticky note back on the cardstock and punched using the punch trick. Then I used the punch trick again to make the holes in the flap (which I turned into a slot) and the matt on the front of the card.

I know, I know...you are saying, "But JAN!!! You already did this, so just tell us where the hole needs to go so we don't have to do that!!!" You guys...you want everything! But I am so nice (along with being a genius...yes, I love myself!) that I will tell you:

For Mr. Franklin, Mr. Grant, Mr. Jackson, and Mr. Lincoln, the left edge of the hole needs to be 2 3/16" from the left side of the cardfront and the bottom of the hole needs to be 5/8" from the bottom of the cardfront. If you are making a holder for Mr. Hamilton, move the hole to 1 7/8" from the left side. And if you are making one for Mr. Washington...let's not go there.

I used a Scotch ATG gun to glue my flap down, but if you don't have one of those, use sticky strip...and use half the width...otherwise, not enough room to slide your bill in.

So now, you can make one of these, insert the bill of your choice and send me one for a present!!!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan - you are both genius and hilarious! Love it! - April C

Conny Moody said...

Oh...you horrible enabler!!! I was trying to stay away from the Take Three set...and now I have to have it!!!

This is beautiful. TFS

Conny
(SCS Ladybug2004)

Marie said...

These cards are super cute and super creative! I love the head in the window! Thanks for sharing them with us all.

Stamper Gail said...

Jan, you are so hilariou. I love reading anything you write and love your littel project too!

Kim L. said...

Jan, you are just TOO much! Love these! 8-)

Lorien said...

You are too funny! Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! You are outstanding! I love it...now if I can just adapt it for our Canadian bills! I wonder how the Queen would look with a Santa hat on - LOL!

Barbara (Oldstmpr on SCS) said...

Ahh Jan...you are just too clever! These are a stroke of genius! I sure hope we see them "On Stage"!

Lorie said...

Wow! You have such a creative mind! Excellent use of something new! And, I love your explanation!

Dawn said...

OH Jan you are so Brillant .. Love your quirkyness and love your cards .. TFS everything :-)
You ROCK!!
Your Stampin Friend
Dawn

Debbie Olson said...

Jan, this is so clever and innovative--you ROCK!

Emily - WaterPixie said...

*SUPER SPEW*

This is clever and hilarious!! I love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Super cute! I really love your running commentary and how you liken SU as a cult!! Made me laugh! (The knowing laugh of a fellow member).
Erin A

Pam-I-Am said...

Today was my first time at your blog and I was laughing the whole way through your post! You crack me up! I absolutely love your cards and the colors you chose. Great Job!!!
~Pam

Come check me out sometime...
www.stampinggetaway.wordpress.com

dcmrwhitney (SC) said...

Ingenious- and you're so funny too!

Kathyc said...

These cards are totally adorable, and your commentary is so much fun! Tell me, did you leave the $50 or $100 in the ones you sent SU??? They say money talks ya know!!!!

Lynnette said...

I laughed my head off reading this post! I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing all of the creative things you make. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

ponygirl40 said...

This is pure genius! You are SO RIGHT to love yourself!

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I have visited your blog, but I must tell you that I am saving it to my favorites. You are hilarious! I was thinking how much I would love to attend one of your workshops, I am sure you have your attendees rolling on the floor. AND your works are innovative and quite adorable. Cheers!!
j

Renee said...

Jan, You never cease to totally amaze me....*and* crack me up. Gosh, girl, you're hilarious. One of these days, I have to meet you in real life.
Great cards and projects...they're winners already! ;-)

Rubber Hugs,
Renee

Heike said...

Oh. My. Gawd.
Thanks for making me fall off my chair laughing (wiping away tears). You are too funny!

Anonymous said...

Very Clever & and thanks for the laughs!

-Ginna