Thursday, October 19, 2006

JanTink's Fabulous Punch Trick Tutorial

I felt kind of like I had to put some sort of tutorial up here, since so far all you have seen is me showing off my work (which I love to do!) and what I buy. Since I have a number of techniques and tricks I have developed, I figured the least I could do was try to show some of them to you, my loyal readers.

But first let me answer a question from Dawn, who asks how to mail a 4" x 4" or 4.25" x 4.25" card: just put it in a regular envelope. We don't make square envelopes in that size and even if we did, you can't mail them...according to the USPS, letters have to be at least 5" in length and 3.5" high. The card will rattle around a bit, but oh well...it will ge there!

So my tutorial is about my little trick using sticky notes (notice my careful skirting around a copyrighted name) to place your punch for 100% accuracy. This is important when you are creating window cards; obviously, if you are punching out something and using the punched piece, it does not matter so much. But if you are interested in the hole the punch makes rather than the positive shape, you want to be as accurate as you can.

In addition, Stampin' Up! tells us not to punch through two layers of cardstock; otherwise we put our punches in danger of breaking. But if you want more than one layer on your cardfront, and the hole needs to go through both, you need to be VERY accurate in placing your punch on both layers so that they line up.




So what you see here is my card, the layer I'm going to put on the front, the Tag Punch and some sticky notes.



Step 1) Punch out a piece of sticky note, making sure to get part of the sticky portion of the note within the punched shape. If you find that your punch does not work well on such thin paper, stick the note to another piece of paper and punch through both of them.



Here is the punched out sticky note.



Step 2) Place the punched sticky note shape on the topmost layer of your card, right where you want the window to be.




Step 3) Turn over your punch and slide it over the cardstock, lining up the punched shape within the window on the bottom. Punch.



Here is the hole I made, just where I want it! But wait...there's more!



Step 4) Place the layer on your card where you want it to be. You can use some temporary adhesive to keep it from moving.




Step 5) Put the punched out sticky note on the card through the hole in the first layer and lining up with it.



Step 6) Pull off the top layer, leaving the sticky note in place on the card.




Step 7) Again, turn the punch over, center over the sticky note shape and punch.



Here is the window in the card.



Layering the top layer over the bottom, the windows will line up exactly right!



And here's my card:






I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. I developed this trick the first year I was a demonstrator and have submitted it to Stampin' Up! long ago, but I have yet to see it make Stampin' Success!



Here's another card I made this week. I joined a Christmas card swap run by Vicky Maduzia for "practical" Christmas cards....yes, I, the queen of OVERDONE! I managed to tamp my desire for more elaborateness down and made this:

Yes, I know it doesn't look simple, but it really is. Only one color of cardstock, only two colors of ink. I was able to whip out 25 of these in just a few hours...considering I was going down to the wire on mailing them in by the deadline, it was a good thing!

13 comments:

scrappersister said...

Jan, thanks for putting the tutorial up on your blog. It is a help for someone like myself who has never tried this technique.

Mary

Whitney said...

This is great - thanks for sharing.

Jessica (jessrose21) said...

Jan, these are some stunning cards! I think the tutorial is great; a simple way to solve a common problem. Thanks for sharing with us!

Denise said...

Oh WOW! I'm keeping this tutorial handy so I can try this soon on a card!
And I love the blue card - simply gorgeous - you should submit this someplace. It's a winner!

Marie - mariemc said...

Very pretty, I love it!!! It definitely doesn't look simple - rather - simply stunning!

Kathi S. said...

Great tutorial. i had a hard time reading the text that was to the left of the pictures. The words were broken up. I don't know if it's me or your blog. I tried resizing my screen and it didn't change anything. I loved the peaceful wishes card.

Brenda said...

Beautiful Peaceful wishes card! Thanks for your helpful advice.

Terry Molineux said...

Jan....OMG! these two cards are awesome as well as your tutorial. I will have to case both of them for my Christmas in November class. TFS

Inky Hugs,
Terry~~

janice said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Dawn G said...

I am so not worthy!!! your Rock GF but how many times do I say that ? HUMMMM.. Thanks for the answer on the mailings of the 4x4 cards, such a DUH moment I suppose .. Love your punch window card Looks Fab-O and OH my your peaceful wishes card .. I wish I were in that swap I would probably frame yours :-).. Thanks so much for your directions and Now I am off to try one for myself & OF course when I post mine to my blog I will be giving you ALL credit girlie and a quick link also ..
Keep on blogging Love this .. you are spoiling us thats for sure
" As if thats a bad thing "
xox
Dawn

Valerie said...

Beautiful Jan! You are so inpiring. Thanks for the tutorial!
http://www.inkinwithval.blogspot.com

Pam said...

Thank you for the tutorial and two beautiful cards! I love your work

Jan Hoyt (inkerzaway) said...

Wow, what a great tutorial! A picture truly is worth a thousand words! I am going to make good use of this tip for Christmas cards and workshops! Thanks for sharing....they oughta put this in Stampin' Success, maybe the same issue where they give you credit for the Lumiere resist technique?? Jan